Sunday, May 24, 2009

Perspectives

Image courtesy of: http://www.katebloom.co.uk/images/pageimages/curly_hair.jpg

A few months ago my sweet Hubby was putting together photos to display in a multiple picture frame. Every photo he chose was perfect. Each photo, that is, except the one he chose of me. It is the last one I would have chosen to display of myself. Yet, of the almost 900 images he had to choose from, he chose this particular one. I don't think I have self-loathing issues (well, none that I know of - if you are a psychoanalyst and reading this, please enlighten me!). And, after a fair amount of consideration, self-analysis and confirmation of family support, I don't mind having pictures of me displayed on my fashion blog. However, I chose these pictures, crop them and display them from my perspective. In my mind they are reasonable and my blog moves on.

However, getting back to the picture my Hubby chose of me. My hair is back in something akin to a ponytail and I have what I call the 'sunrise frizz' happening all over the crown of my head. And, as we had travelled 20,000 km two days prior, I was bloated and wearing some pretty run-of-the-mill attire. Mind you there are photos from a wedding where I was wearing a stylish outfit and my hair was coiffed etc, etc (in my minds eye, anyway!). And still darling Hubby chooses that particular picture of me to display.

When I considered taking this photo out he told me that he thinks it is one of the most beautiful photos he has seen of me and that is why he chose it. The photo still sits where his obliging hands placed it but I am still a little bothered by it. However, I don't have the heart to remove it.

What is it that he sees that I do not?

Moreover, what is it that I see that he doesn't?

And, how does this apply to others whether they are near or far?

13 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi Mervat! I just went over to your other blog to look at pictures of you. You are SO beautiful, it really wouldn't matter at all, what you were wearing, you would look great in a hessian bag. :D xx♥

Jean said...

How interesting! We never see ourselves the way others do, so it must have been strange to see him choose one that YOU wouldn't have. Perhaps he loves its naturalness, perhaps you have a 'certain look' in your eyes that he loves. Whatever the reason it would be a shame to take it out of the display. Your husband chose it for a good reason. He loves you. Bless.

The Old Gray Egg said...

As a Respiratory Physiologist, I'm surprised that you didn't notice that the photo takes his breath away.

septembermom said...

He sees that picture with the eyes of love! There is joy in that little girl's face!! Cute photo of you:)

Suko said...

Live with it for a while. Perhaps you will soon see how beautiful you look in it (if not, find one you like better). : )

Rosaria Williams said...

If you mean the picture of the child on rollerskate, than hands down, it is the most precious picture I've ever seen. This child is full of joy and fear, all at the same time. Photographs are about states of mind.

♥ Braja said...

Our perception of how we look is mostly driven by our false ego; we therefore have a false concept of how we look, whether we think it's good or bad :)

Valerie said...

It happens to me all the time but then I never like any picture with me in it. Your husband obviously sees something in that photograph that you can't see... so it's true when they say beauty runs deep.

Kim said...

First of all, you are such a beauty Mervat!! I checked out your fashion blog and love it!!

My husband and I often disagree on pictures of me. I am very picky of pics with me in them - most I hate but he thinks I look great in all of them (bless his heart) even if I clearly don't.

Mervat said...

Natalie: Thanks Natalie, you are way too kind. Takes one to know one! xxoo

notSupermum: I think you are right, I don't think I will remove it.

The Old Gray Egg: Very clever! You made me laugh!

septembermom: I hope so! The pic is cute!

Suko: It'll grow on me...maybe ;)

lakeviewer: No, unfortunately it isn't the one of the child on the rollerskates. But, it is the cutest picture I have ever seen. I added it as my screensaver!

♥ Braja: I'll post on this specifically. Thank you!

Valerie: I am lucky and he is a good man to see the pearls for the swine!

Kim: Thank you so much. See, you kno what I mean. We are lucky to have such good men in our lives.
xo

Lilly said...

Well you are beautiful. I think your husband sees the real you the unadorned you.

Unknown said...

I always think this is an interesting thing! Sometimes I will take pictures for my friends. Some will be technically perfect. Perfect lighting, perfect setting, perfect poses, and you know what, they don't always LOVE those pictures. Don't you think this is so much about how each person sees beauty differently? I think you should let him keep it there if he thinks you look beautiful in it : ).

Freida Bee said...

I think that picture is remarkably stunning!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats